Inside and outside the wall
The Institute Pellegrini Carmignani
At the beginning of the Via Roma, Piazza between the Fortress and the Church, is one of the largest buildings in Monaco. The Institute Pellegrini-Carmignani, now painted white, former Monastery of Poor Clares, now houses the Municipal Library, the Historical Archives of the City and current, as well as various village associations.Accessible to all visitors is the small church of the convent, with entrance on Via Roma, dedicated to St. Anna (with the little choir above), and the former cloister of the monastery now transformed into a public garden. Of particular interest, but not accessible, the building is the painting of Our Lady of the sixteenth and Emergency at the branch of the Savings Bank, the cellars of the monastery and the historical community of Monte Carlo, which until 1881 also included the villages of Alton, Marginone and Roll. The project to build a cloistered monastery was completed in Monte Carlo, in the late sixteenth and early decades of the seventeenth century, a wave of religious revival sought by the Council of Trent. The factory was started in 1610, designed by the architect Gherardo Mechini Florence, and completed four years later, the House was entrusted to Clarisse made to come to the monastery of Monte Carlo Fucecchio. Between 1626 and 1646 the monastery was enlarged with the inclusion of the building until then residence of the Vicars (Praetorian Palace) moved into a building at the beginning of the left side of the Via Roma, Palazzo Guiduccini now owned Fantozzi.The Poor Clares remained in Monaco until 1810, when the Napoleonic laws suppressed the religious community, which was dispersed. The property auction site, was later redeemed and destined, thanks to a generous bequest of the noblewoman Anna Pellegrini Carmignani, a conservatory with school and work for the civil and religious education of girls of the city of Monte Carlo. Entrusted the administration to lay a deputation was managed, until a few years ago, the Franciscan Sisters of the Stigmata in the population who have left an indelible montecarlese affectionate remembrance.Particularly fascinating ancient well of the court, lost his life here, in a dark night of late nineteenth century, a young nun afflicted, it is said, by the pangs of love.